‘English for Academic Purposes’ means the English you’ll want to succeed at a university. At SSC , the Academic that is‘English Language Skills’ helps you get better grades in your academic essays and examinations.
The English for Academic Purposes course trains you in:
- understanding written academic text
- Writing essays that are academic
- giving academic presentations
- getting involved in academic discussion.
Academic English presentation at Scotland Study Centre
These skills are essential if you wish to flourish in your academic career.
English for Academic Purposes: a approach that is non-traditional
On traditional courses, you learn into the way that is traditional.
As an example, you have got probably discovered that, when writing an academic essay, you may need an ‘Introduction’, a ‘Body’, and a ‘Conclusion’. But this sort of basic structure is as useful as a doctor telling you that you have got a ‘Head’, a ‘Body’, and ‘Feet’. To put it differently, it is useless.
At SSC you actually discover ways to structure academic essays. You learn by:
- using an infinitely more detailed structure that teaches you what you should put into each section of your essay.
- analysing example essays to comprehend how they are structured and exactly how language is employed inside them.
- redrafting essays along with your teacher in class.
- learning, as you analyse and redraft essays with your teacher, a wide range of basic techniques/tricks which make essay writing much simpler and much more effective.
The techniques you learn on the Academic that is‘English Language Skills’ course help you to:
- write essays
- Read texts that are academic
- give academic presentations.
An awareness of the same structure can also be useful for your needs when you have to read through academic texts and when you have to structure academic presentations.
English for Academic Purposes: Insights into British Academic Culture
The ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ course also provides insights into how exactly to succeed in the British academic culture. Different countries have various ways of carrying out research that is academic. There is also different styles and rules for academic essays, presentations, and discussion. (more…)